One of our actors sends out an eblast to friends now and then, with news about what’s going on in the Atlanta film and TV community and much more. Thanks to Samantha for letting us sharing this info here:
The snow is cleared…for now, and March Madness is almost here.
Don’t forget to set your clocks to SPRING ahead on MARCH 14th, and then be sure to take time out to enjoy a few things around town:
Watch a Film in a Theatre; View a Film Trailer On-Line!
*Opened this past week; 3rd at the box office – THE CRAZIES – was filmed in GA (and a little bit in Iowa) last year. Features a number of GA talent. Check out the trailer and make plans to see in the theatre! http://www.thecrazies-movie.com/
* Filmed in nearby North Carolina, with lots of GA talent, BLOOD DONE SIGN MY NAME, opened in Atlanta Feb. 19th. Limited screenings in the S.E. Check out the trailer and more about this film at the website: http://blooddonesignmynamethemovie.com/
* Locally lensed film, THE BLIND SIDE, is still in theatres! Congrats to all local cast and crew members! http://www.theblindsidemovie.com/
* Not filmed in GA, but from ATL-based producer, Tyler Perry, and Oprah Winfrey, PRECIOUS, is still in theatres! http://www.weareallprecious.com/
The Spring Emory Cinematheque on Wednesdays: March 3, Cranes Are Flying (“Letyat Zhuravali”; 1957, Mikhail Kalatozov, 1957, black and white, 95 min., in Russian with English subtitles); March 17, The Job (“Il Posto,” 1961, Emmano Olmi, Italy, black & white, 93 min., Italian with English subtitles); March 24, Wings of Desire (“Der Himmel über Berlin”, 1987, Wim Wenders, Germany, black & white and color, 128 min., German and others with English subtitles); March 31, Mean Streets (1973, Martin Scorcese, United States, color, 112 min.).
All these FREE screenings are at 7:30pm in White Hall 205, unless noted. More detailed descriptions: www.filmstudies.emory.edu The Wednesday night Fall series is curated by Dr. Eddy Von Mueller, Lecturer in Film Studies.
Turn on the TV and watch, set the VCR, or schedule with TIVO……and catch a few ATL folks on the small screen and also behind the scenes:
* Lensed in GA in 2009, the pilot of PAST LIFE, which featured local talent, premiered last month. Unfortunately the show was pulled, but you can watch the first three episodes on-line: http://www.fox.com/pastlife/
* THE VAMPIRE DIARIES continues! Tune in to see Atlanta talent at work on Thursdays at 8pm ET on the CW. New episode on March 25th. More info as well as episodes: http://cwtv.com/shows/the-vampire-diaries
* Lensed in nearby Wilmington, ONE TREE HILL continues a successful run. Keep your eyes peeled for familiar ATL faces now and then. Mondays at 8pm ET. Info on-line: http://cwtv.com/shows/one-tree-hill
* ATLANTA SHORTS – Tune in to PBA 30 Atlanta’s PBS Station. Saturday at 11pm and Sunday at midnight! http://www.pba.org/programming/programs/atlshorts
Enjoy theatre, comedy, art, music, and more live events!
* Super Solid Gold Mega Hits! – catch Sketchworks for the 1st show of 2010! Directed by Jen Kelley, with a cast full of some of your favorites. Two more weeks – through March 13th. Check out the season pass! http://sketchworkscomedy.com/
* Need some laughs in your life? The Doug Dank Project – Weds, 1000pm at Push Push Theater, Decatur. http://www.thedougdankproject.com/ Check website weekly for guest monologist.
* More chuckles….Improv at JaCKPie Theatre – 14th street. Thursdays: Improv Monster at 930pm; Fridays: Revolver at 8pm; and Saturdays: Smashup at 8pm, Harold Night at 930pm and InsOmniac at 1115pm. Tickets are $7! Catch Four Ate Five and Lady Parts teams during the Harold Night Show on March 13th! More info on re-vamped website: http://jackpie.com/play/upcoming-shows/
* Giggles – Playing in Traffic Improv – This month, Saturdays, 730pm at Pro Actor’s Studio, Atlanta. Check out website for more info: http://pitimprov.com/schedule.html
* “Women + War” – opened Feb. 19th and runs through March 7th. Created by the Synchronicity Ensemble; Directed by Rachel May. Special Performance and Post-Show Discussion, on Sat. March 6th at 630pm. Directed by Rachel May. Choreography by Celeste Miller. Stage management by Charlie Moore. http://www.synchrotheatre.com/home/Default.aspx
* “Octette Bridge Club” – written by P.J. Barry and Directed by Adriana Warner. A delightful, sentimental comedy about American life in a bygone era. On alternate Friday evenings, eight sisters meet to play bridge and gossip. Opens March 5th at Kudzu Playhouse; runs through April 4th. Fri & Sat at 8 pm and Sun matinees at 3pm. http://www.kudzuplayhouse.org/index.html
* “Frat Girl” – Written and directed by Jamie Wingler. A limited, two-night engagement on Friday, March 12 and Sat, March 13, at 8pm, at the fabulous Earl Smith Strand Theatre! Tickets can be purchased at http://www.earlsmithstrand.org/upcoming-events.php ; by phone at 770-293-0080; or in person at box office.
* Don’t miss the fabulous Gwen Hughes and Garrison Elliott at the Cool Cat a Go-Go – Benefit for Furkids, March 27th at 7pm at the Variety Playhouse. http://www.gwenhughes.com/
Tickets at Furkids site: http://www.furkids.org/
* For a comprehensive listing of Atlanta shows and ticket information (including AtlanTIX!), check out http://www.atlantaperforms.com/
For my friends who are in the film community, AND even those who are not!:
* Atlanta Film Festival 365 – mark your calendar – buy Atlanta Film Festival Passes NOW!
The festival is April 15 – 23 (a mere 42 days away!) Save by purchasing your pass before March 15th. http://atlantafilmfestival.com/content/view/461/204/#passes
And check out Avant Garden XVI – March 18th, 6 – 830pm. More on upcoming events: www.atlantafilmfestival.com Not a member? JOIN!
…Screenwriters – check out ASG meeting at 8pm, same venue as Avant Garden. http://www.atlscript.org/
* Women in Film and Television Atlanta – Oscar Party 7 pm – Red Carpet Viewing and Networking. 8 pm – Academy Awards Ceremony. FREE to attend – $5 entry ballot for Oscar Competition. Info and registration: www.wifta.org
* Actors – learn how to make filing taxes easier to understand and prepare! March 18th; 630 – 830pm at Sketchworks Theatre (located at YourAct) 3041 North Decatur Road, Scottdale, GA 30079. A free seminar by Enrique Jimenez, member of National Society of Public Accountants and Georgia Association of Public Accountants. With local actors Julie Shaer-Deutschle and Dave Deutschle, owners of Liberty Tax Service, in Buckhead, Atlanta. RSVP by March 16th to confirm your spot: LIBERTY_BUCKHEAD@LIBERTYTAX.COM
Be in the know:
* OZ Magazine – GA Film & Video Sourcebook and more! http://www.ozonline.tv
* Southern Screen Report – Read more about happenings in your area: http://screenreport.com/
* Atlanta Film Community – On-line news and forum: www.atlantafilmcommunity.com
* CinemATL Magazine – Check it out at http://www.cinematl.com
Support Local Businesses and Charitable Organizations:
* Congrats to Mike Pniewski on his new book – “When Life Gives You Lemons, Throw ’em Back”. Check it out: http://throwemback.com/
* The 2 Williams Home – A Habitat for Humanity Home in Loving Memory of Bill & Will Stilwell.
Construction on the newest home began January 16, 2010 You can volunteer to help build (House Construction Day 7 is March 6th – check calendar on-line).
TO REGISTER: www.atlantahabitat.volunteerhub.com
Register and when it asks for join group it is “2williams”
Once you’ve registered, it will direct you to the event dates and you sign up for the day. They will then send out all the information, maps, etc. They build rain or shine, so warm, comfortable clothes and shoes.
You can donate: If you wish to make a monetary donation, please send your check to:
Habitat for Humanity Atlanta
ATTN: Two Williams Home
519 Memorial Drive SE
Atlanta, GA 30312
Or, donate online: www.atlantahabitat.org/donate.asp – click Donate Online then This Gift Is: “In Memory of” and type 2 Williams Home.
Happy Early St. Patrick’s Day!! If you read this far…congrats, and that’s a wrap!